Sunday, July 26, 2009

If it doesn't work, try, try again

A few posts ago I advised you to use viral videos in your blog, because that would generate quite a few hits for you. And as an example I posted that wedding video that has been so hugely successful on YouTube.

Well, to date it hasn't generated a hit. But I know why. If you do a "Google search" on wedding entrance video," the top 7 results are for the same YouTube video. So that negates my hits right there. Sometimes if a video is too popular, this tactic doesn't work. However, after a couple weeks when the furor over this dies down, I expect those top 7 results to dissipate to top 3 or so, and my blog entry to be right up. So, it's just a matter of being patient.

I find these viral videos most useful with my sports blogs. A video of a referee in a college football game taking out a quarterback on the run, a college baseball umpire being deliberately thrown at by a pitcher, with the catcher ducking out of the way, things of that nature, have always done well. I had had high hopes for the LeBron Gets Dunked On video, but when the footage was released it was impossible to tell who was who, so I didn't even bother to post it.

But these viral videos keep on giving. For example, I posted a video of world-renowned women's college basketball coach Pat Summit singing Rocky Top at a men's baskeball game, wearing a cheerleader uniform. This was to repay the favor of Bruce Pearl,who had shown up at one of her games with his shirt off and Go Lady Vols painted on his chest. That post gets no hits during the off-season, but as soon as the Lady Vols start playing, people start searching for that, and find my blog.

One very successsful viral video I had on my science fiction blog was "How to Destroy an Evil Clone." A man had his baby daughter in one of those Gumbo chairs, or whatever they're called, and with stop motion and the help of a few other babies and a cute dog named Kody had made a very entertaining video. In fact, he had three or four of them. These were uploaded at Yahoo Videos rather than YouTube, but you still had the capability of embedding them.

Anyway, I don't know when or why it took place, but those videos are no longer available on Yahoo. I believe the man's website is still up - all proceeds from the site were to go to his daughter's college fund - and I can't understand why he would take the videos down when they would direct people to that site, but for whatever reason, they're gone.

That's the problem with viral videos. On this occasion, the man who actually created them took them down, but on other occasions people have created something very popular, but didn't get clearance to use the music, or a scene from a TV show or something, and if someone complains, the video is arbitrarily removed. Most annoying. I'm all for copyright protection, but when you're getting free advertising for your product, why complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment